I was an associate at the top Costa Rican litigation firm Batalla Salto Luna, from 2012-2017. During my time at that firm I made good friends, had wonderful moments and relevant case experience:
- ICSID Case No. UNCT/15/3 (Aven vs. Costa Rica). Local counsel for Vinson & Elkins. Assistance in the draft of the witness and expert’s statements, filed memos to address public and environmental law issues, communication with clients, preparation of cross examination questions, provided assistance in the witnesses’ familiarization sessions and in the hearings. US$100 million.
- International Arbitration under AMCHAM-CR rules (public). Co-leading attorney. Drafting of the claim and reply for the breach of contract, evidence selection and arguments to the Supreme Court to defend the Tribunal´s jurisdiction. Strategic value of a 10-year concession agreement that generates sales of over US$120 million a year.
- Contentious Administrative. IGT vs Junta de Protección Social and Costa Rica (public). Strategic Value. Co-Leading attorney. Drafting of the claim and reply to challenge an administrative decision that orders the ID capture of all the clients of the electronic lottery, evidence selection. Strategic value of a 10-year concession agreement that generates sales of over US$120 million a year.
- Several cases under Law 6209, either as claimant or respondent, aiming to obtain an indemnization for wrongful termination of contract.
- During my time at I worked at the ICC local arbitration committee for almost 4 years and was directly connected to the organization of the most important International Arbitration Congress in Central America. I was also a member of the Diversity factor Committee of AMCHAM
Hduarte Abogacía, Law Firm, San Salvador, El Salvador
Founder of an International Arbitration boutique. Representative client: Jan de Nul.
Jan de Nul Vs. CEPA and El Salvador. Legal assistant. Provided research on FIDIC contracts, drafted arguments for the claim and helped in the selection of evidence. US$5.5 million.
Organization of a month arbitration program for the General Attorney Office of the Republic of El Salvador.
Saenz Asociados, Law Firm, San Salvador, El Salvador.
Associate in the dispute resolution practice. Representative clients: The Republic of El Salvador and Telefonica.
Conducted research, drafted sections for ongoing arbitrations and participated in witness familiarization hearings and provided assistance in the hearings.
Herman M. Duarte Iraheta
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Arbitration, international investment arbitration, international commercial arbitration, commercial, corporate, litigation, administrative law, strategic consulting, legal marketing,
UNIVERSITY OF COSTA RICA
Juris Doctor, convalidation, 2013
LLM in International Commercial Arbitration (ICAL Program). Thesis: “Unilateral Appointments in International Arbitration” (2010- 2011). Board Member: Rainbows- LGBTQI student body. Outstanding Alumni Award (2017).
ESCUELA SUPERIOR ECONOMÍA Y NEGOCIOS
Bachelor of Laws (LLB, equivalent to J.D.) Dean´s list. GPA: 8.0/10 (top 3%). Exchange program in Spain and Law summer school in NYC. Assistant professor in: Constitutional Law, Civil Law, Roman Law, Corporate Law, Ethics, Argumentation Techniques.
Ranked by Chambers & Partners.
Selected to be part of the HIVE GLOBAL leaders Program.
ICAL ALUMNI Association - Outstanding Alumni Award.
“Freedom of Speech” award by La Prensa Gráfica (EL Salvador oldest newspaper).
Selected by “El País Que Viene” as one of the 60 most influential Salvadorans under 35, living abroad.
Amateur life-coach and experienced couchsurfer with over 60 hosting.
- Super power. Causing revolutions.
- Very good at. Big picture analysis, getting things done.
- Not so good at. Dieting.
SPEAKING Engagements AND PUBLICATIONS
Over 30 law conferences/lectures addressing: international arbitration, psychological analysis of arbitration and LGBT rights; reaching a total audience of over 1000 practitioners of bachelor, PhD and professional level in 5 Latin American countries (Uruguay, Peru, Nicaragua, El Salvador and Costa Rica) and the United States of America. Events organized by Harvard Law School, ICC YAF, Columbia University, CRYoung Arbitrators among others.
Op-ed columnist (2011-present), with over 35 publications in El Salvador´s oldest newspaper (La Prensa Gráfica) ranging different subjects such as international arbitration, democracy, LGBT rights and anti-corruption. Over 7 publications on law journals and magazines in USA, Costa Rica and El Salvador.